Are you new to Air Frying or looking for something new to make tonight? Save this recipe where we show you how to quickly whip up a popular and crowd-pleasing appetizer: The Blooming Onion in your air fryer!
- 1 large sweet onion
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin`
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Slice the onion to make it bloom. Start by cutting off 1/2 inch from the top of the onion, then peel the outer skin from the onion.
- Place the onion cut-side down. Starting about 1/2 inch from the root, make a downward cut all the way through to the cutting board. Repeat to make four evenly spaced cuts around the onion. Make 2 additional cuts between each section until you have 12 evenly spaced cuts.
- Turn the onion over and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the petals to relax. Prior to breading, use your fingers to gently separate the outer pieces.
- Whisk the flour, paprika, cayenne, cumin, thyme, and oregano in a large bowl. In a medium deep bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and 1 cup water.
- Place the onion in a clean bowl, cut-side up, and pour the flour mixture on top. Using a large spoon to coat the onion with the flour mixture, especially between the onion petals. Turn the onion over and pat off the excess flour. Reserve the bowl of flour.
- Transfer the onion into the egg mixture and coat evenly. Remove and let the excess drip off, then transfer back into the reserved flour mixture and repeat the flouring process.
- Place the onion into the refrigerator.
- Preheat the air fryer for 10 minutes to 350ºF.
- Remove the onion from the refrigerator and spray generously with cooking oil (vegetable or olive).
- Transfer the onion cut side up into the fryer basket.
- Set the timer for 25 minutes and cook. Spray the onion with the cooking oil 2-3 times as you cook it fully.
- Remove the onion from the basket and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a dip.
Looking for more air fryer inspired recipes? Check out this Air Fryer Apple Fries recipe.
We appreciate every one of our customers and hope you found this post helpful with getting more familiar with your GoWISE USA Products. And don’t forget to share your experiences and creations with our products using the #GoWISEUSA on all of our social channels or join our GoWISE Creations community on Facebook.