Our latest pressure cookers (GW22700-GW22705) have the necessary features needed to safely perform pressure canning. They reach the required temperature, but please be sure to follow these steps closely.
Edit: In the video, it states to throw away contents in the jar if not sealed properly. This is optional. It's safe to eat if it's eaten within 1-3 days of attempted canning.
4 Pints of Blackberries
3 Tbsp. of Pectin Powder
1/2 Lemon (juiced)
5 cups of Sugar
1. Choose a jar that suits your needs. We used a wide mouth pint in this video.
2. Boil jars and lids for 10 minutes.
3. In the pressure cooker, add in berries, pectin, lemon juice, and sugar. Add one cup of sugar at a time and mix to dissolve.
4. Press the saute button and let the mixture boil for 3-5 minutes.
5. Optional: mash berries if you'd like a smoother consistency.
6. After carefully taking the jars out, clean rims with white vinegar.
7. Using a funnel, fill each jar while they are still hot and make sure to leave 1 inch of headspace. Do not overfill.
8. Make sure rims are clean.
9. Tap sides of the jars to clear air bubbles. Make sure there are no air bubbles before sealing.
10. Seal jars. Screw on finger tight. Do not over tighten lids. They will seal when in the pressure cooker.
11. Place trivet. Add sealed jars and do not let jars touch each other or the cook pot. We used our 10 Quart model and could fit 5 pint-sized jars.
12. Pour water into the pot until jars are covered 1/4 of the way.
13. Select the canning setting and set for 20 minutes.
14. After taking out the jars with tongs, let them cool down. Wait for 12- 24 hours before checking if they sealed properly, then place a finger on the top of the cap. If it can be pushed down and make a "pop" noise, the jar was not properly sealed. This means you cannot store it long term; however, you can eat the jam within the next couple of days. Do not store them long-term if they are not sealed properly.
15. If the seal was correct and there was no "pop" sound, then congratulations: you have properly canned blackberry jam.
Thank you and enjoy!
Please don't forget to share!