Love your pressure cooker as much as we do, but need new recipes? Try making these Chicken and Dumplings!
The moist, tender chicken cooks up in a creamy sauce with carrots, onion, and chicken broth. Making this you new go-to comfort food.
For the Dumplings
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 cubes
- ¾ cup milk
For the Chicken and Vegetables
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp water
Make the Dumplings
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the cold butter cubes and use your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the butter pieces are very small.
- Pour in the milk and use a fork to mix until a dough forms. Refrigerate the dumpling dough while you prepare the chicken and vegetables.
Make the Chicken and Vegetables
- Set the unit to Sauté mode and heat up the olive oil. When the pot is hot, add the chicken thighs to the pot and brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a clean plate.
- Add the tablespoon of butter to the pot, followed by the onion, celery and carrots. Sauté the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften, then add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Turn off sauté mode and pour in the chicken broth. Scrape up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the bay leaves, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Return the chicken thighs to the pot and push them down into the broth.
- Scoop small spoonfuls (about 1 Tablespoon each) of the dumpling dough and place on top of the broth.
- Close the pressure cooker lid and turn the steam release valve to the sealing position. Set the cook time to 8 minutes at high pressure using the Manual preset. When the cook time ends, allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Once done, carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position to release any remaining steam and pressure.
- Transfer the dumplings to a clean plate. Remove and shred the chicken, set aside.
- Turn on Sauté mode and stir the frozen peas into the Pot. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- To make a slurry, mix together the 1 Tablespoon of cornstarch and 1 Tablespoon of water. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the pot and simmer the broth until it has thickened.
- Return the shredded chicken and dumplings.
- Adjust your salt and pepper as needed and serve!
Watch recipe video
We appreciate every one of our customers and hope you found this post helpful with getting more familiar with your GoWISE USA Products. And don’t forget to share your experiences and creations with our products using the #GoWISEUSA on all of our social channels or join our GoWISE Creations community on Facebook.