Alright, we are back on the healthy train track! If you’ve never tried black bean burgers, we highly recommend these. If you absolutely love burgers but are looking for a healthier version, then this is the perfect recipe for you to try.
Why are black bean patties healthier? There are a lot of nutrients that can be found in a black bean patty burger. For instance, they are a good source of protein, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals.
Learn more nutritional facts about black bean patties.
In this recipe, we’ve also suggested healthier substitutions for certain ingredients. There are ways to eat healthy and still enjoy what you’re eating! We believe this recipe can be enjoyed by all, vegetarian or not.
2 cans of seasoned black beans
1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs (can substitute with quinoa)
¼ cup of grated white onion
1 whole egg
½ tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper
Swiss cheese (optional)
Hamburger buns (can substitute with lettuce and make lettuce wrapped burgers)
Mayonnaise (can substitute with light mayo, avocado mayo, etc.)
- Use cheese grater to grate a quarter of an onion.
- In a bowl, mash 2 cans of drained black beans. Beans don’t have to be completely mashed. The texture is up to you.
- In the same bowl, add 1 egg, onion shavings, breadcrumbs, chili powder, salt and pepper. We added a dash of hot sauce as well.
- Mash to combine. It might be easier to use hands.
- Shape into patties.
- Place parchment paper in air fryer basket. If you do not have parchment paper, it’s okay! You can go ahead to step 7.
- Place 1 or 2 patties into the air fryer basket and brush one side with olive oil.
- Set air fryer at 350 F for 5 minutes.
- Once the 5 minutes are done, take out and flip the patties over. Put back in air fryer and cook for 3 more minutes at the same temperature.
- Optional: if you’d like to add cheese. Place one slice over the patty and cook at 300 F for 1 minute to melt the cheese.
- Build your burger with these delicious black bean patties and enjoy!